You are here

Dependent Visa


I am from Pakistan and now working in Penang and have the employment pass.I just want to know the process of obtaining Dependent Visa for my spouse.Are there any agents to help me out?

Jacques's picture

You're better off doing it yourself. Even if you hire an agent, you'll still have to show up with your wife to process your application.

Different countries have different requirements for the dependent pass. You should check with your embassy and the immigration department to know the exact procedure for your family's visas. For example, I know that Indians dependent Visa have 2 stages while French do not need to go through stage 1. The two stages are
1- Get an approval letter from the applicants embassy for the dependent, which enable him/her to apply for single entry visa.
2- Once in Malaysia, get marriage certificates and other required docs and submit them within 1 month of arrival of the dependent.

Can we call them on visit visa and then proceed the dependent pass application ??

Jacques's picture

You should check with your embassy to confirm whether you can do that.

hi jacques!

im a filipina and my boyfriend is a french expat in malaysia. weve been living togethr for about 7 months now. but i always need to exit the country every 30 days or less. there hasnt been any problem with the immigration but the last time i entered malaysia, the officer started questioning me and told me that its not good to go back and forth every month and that i should apply for a dependent visa. how can i apply for a dependent visa if we are not yet married? thank you for your help!


Jacques's picture

Visa runs are always a risk.

You should check with the French embassy to see if they can recognize your union. It is called a "companionship certificate" which, once translated, is accepted by the immigration and allows you to apply for a dependent pass. It worked for most applicants I know of. But sometimes the immigration has special requirements for dependents from other ASEAN countries. Worth checking with the embassy though.

Good luck


Hey Jacques

I want to know how long it takes to process the work permit and the dependency visa. Im from Botswana and already in Malaysia on social pass with my son.

I work for an US Multinational company and am handling sales for the SE Asia region and India. I am planning to relocate to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with my family (spouse and 2 children aged 6 & 12). I also intend to take my father (aged 74) to live with us in KL since he is dependent on me (I am the only son). My mother passed away 2 years ago.

I request you to kindly let me know if my father can live with us and what type of visa would be required for him to stay with us. I am sure taking my spouse and children should not be a problem as per Malaysian Immigration laws.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Jacques's picture

Tourist wrote:
I want to know how long it takes to process the work permit and the dependency visa. Im from Botswana and already in Malaysia on social pass with my son.

Depends on your application. It can take a couple of weeks to much longer if your application is incomplete or the immigration department has issues with it. You should check the wiki for more info on all this.

Surya Prakash wrote:
I request you to kindly let me know if my father can live with us and what type of visa would be required for him to stay with us. I am sure taking my spouse and children should not be a problem as per Malaysian Immigration laws.

You are right that your spouse and children should not be a problem.
Unfortunately, I don't know of a program where your father can be considered your dependent in Malaysia. Can he apply for MM2H ?

Thanks for your reply.

MM2H would be too expensive for us.

Can my father stay in Malaysia on a long term visit visa ? or can you suggest any other visa or method ?

Jacques's picture

Unfortunately I have not heard of another long term visit pass for EP parent dependents.
MM2H is the only one I know of.

hi Jacques,

i am from philippines, my husband is an expat and is applying for my dependent pass in malaysia, i have children his step children, can i bring them along with teh dependent visa been granted? if not, what should i do? thank you

Semar's picture

Did he adopt his step-children ?


Can anyone let me know about : if my child is admitted (Pre school and 3 years old)in any school in KL in that case, whether parents are granted dependent visa or not?

Semar's picture

Usually it's the other way around.
A child is a dependent.

Hi, Im a Filipina and working here in KL, can I get a dependent visa for my mom?

hi, am indian,,,still work at employment pass,,,hw many days needed for depending visa issued?

My husband is in malaysia on professional visit pass for 6 i want to go there from india on dependent visa
So what will be the easiest process &also the cheapest porcess to get a dv? I will take my two children what wiil the fees &how can we get the dv on cheapest price..or u can tell me the easy method from i can save my money as much i can...

I am a Chinese from China. I have been staying here for the past 7 years based on the dependant pass which was issued to me because of the reason that my daughter has been enrolled in an international school in Kuala Lumpur. However due to a need to change to a new institution to do her A Levels, my daughter has now enrolled into a college. The problem is I just heard that there is a possibility that due to recent change in govt policy I mayl not be able to get my dependant pass this time even though my daughter continue to study here. At the moment of writing this is what I heard and is not 100% confirmed. Can someone advise me whether this is true? If this is true, then I just wonder how am I going to solve the problem of looking after her if I cannot stay in Malaysia anymore?

Jacques's picture

Hi Greefield,

Welcome on board.
Unfortunately, Malaysia sometimes makes life difficult for PRC passport holders. I have no experience with your type of situation, and can only wish that you find a way to stay with your daughter. With some luck, another members/visitor will have experience with this kind of situation and will chip in soon.

Good luck.

Do you or anyone have any experience with an American Husband and a Thai Wife wanting to stay long time or relocate and retire in Malaysia? We are presently located in Thailand. What about Thai wife working in Malaysia?

Jacques's picture

Two options :
1- find a company willing to hire and sponsor you for an employment visa (or set up your own company with enough capital to do so)
2- apply for the Malaysia My Second Home program, a program for retirees, and enjoy a 10 years visa.

More info can be found in the wiki section on the different types of visa one can apply for in Malaysia.
Good luck.

Hi Jacques,
I'd like to know if I'm planing to go to Malaysia for studies , will my husband be able to get the dependant visa and work there?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you,

Jacques's picture

You can not work on a dependent visa. Your husband will need to get his own work visa if he wishes to work here.

Hi, Im Filipina working in Cyberjaya. Can i get my bf to study and work here without us getting married?
I know you would suggest us getting Student Visa but i worry he wont be able to work here with that type of visa.



Jacques's picture

Students are allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week only during semester breaks or holidays of more than seven days at restaurants, petrol kiosks, mini markets and hotels as long as their student passes remain valid. Students are NOT permitted to work as cashiers. In addition, in the hotel sector, students are not allowed to work as singers, masseurs, musicians or GROs. Students are not allowed to engage in any job or activity deemed to be immoral. Application to work part-time must be made through the educational institution at which the student is studying. The student needs to be present with the educational institution representative at the Immigration Department when submitting the application.

My husband is travelling to Malaysia on vdr to pursue studies in a university in Kl. Is it possible for me to travel with him on social visit ( i already have a social visit visa) and then apply for dependant visa, after he get his student pass, all the while being in malaysia. Simply, my question is do i need to exit the country to switch from social visit to dependant visa or no?

Is it possible to travel to malaysia on social visit visa n then change to dependant visa ( dependant visa of student spouse) without exiting the country?


Can you explain me the procedure for applying dependent visa for my wife and how much fees should i pay for complete procedure.

I m working in private company since 2013 in Malaysia, I have profession i-pass for 2 years.
Can you please explain that I can apply for depended visa for my parents?
Best Regards,

My husband is pakistani and he is holding malaysia dependant's pass and i am malaysian, we plan to go for holiday in Singapore, so does he need to apply Singapore visit visa?

Jacques's picture

Yes. Your husband need a visa to enter Singapore.

Can I know where can I get all these information?

Jacques's picture

On the Singapore gov website

Add new comment